Learn how to make Tempe Tahu Bacem (tempeh and tofu cooked in coconut sugar) for family's iftar dinner or sohoor dish with this step-by-step recipe!
Kitchenesia.com - Bless Indonesian ancestors for creating tempeh, the plant-based food that is loaded with nutrients like protein, iron, and calcium. Not only does it healthy, tempeh works great in a wide array of recipe and cooking method.
Tempeh is common to be processed into Bacem, or caramelizing tempeh with coconut and palm sugar. The result shows in softer texture and sweet flavour, with a small hint of savoury. You can always add it to any vegetarian or vegan meal for a little extra protein.
Follow Tempe Tahu Bacem (tempeh and tofu cooked in coconut sugar) recipe below to make one at home. And, be prepared to get addicted.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Yields: 16 pieces
250 grams tempeh, cut into 4x6 cm sice
1 buah firm tofu, cut into 12 pieces
3 bay leaves
2 cm piece of galangal, crushed
500 ml coconut water
100 grams palm sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
800 ml cooking oil
For spice paste:
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp coriander powder
1. Place all “spice paste” ingredients in pestle. Grind them well using mortar until making a smooth, fine paste.
2. Place spice paste, tempeh, tofu, bay leaves, galangal, and coconut water in pot. Bring it to boil over medium fire until boiled.
3. Add palm sugar and salt. Set fire to the lowest, and stir occasioanally in between to make them blend well. Remove when tempeh and tofu change colour.
5. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Fry tempeh and tofu in pan until brown. When cooked, transfer them to colander to drain from excess oil.
6. Serve Tempe Tahu Bacem (tempeh and tofu cooked in coconut sugar) alongside steamed rice as an iftar or sohoor main course.