Learn to make a simple yet scrumptious tahu gejrot (fried tofu in sweet spicy sauce) at home with this step-by-step recipe!
Kitchenesia.com - Tahu gejrot (fried tofu in sweet spicy sauce) is a traditional snack from Cirebon, West Java. The food vendors of tahu gejrot typically use cart, and they mostly stop by school gates. It is a go-to snack for kids (and adults as well) for its cheap price yet delicious taste.
Finding tahu gejrot vendors amidst coronavirus pandemic is difficult because of school closing. Of course, this affected many food vendors as well because they lose their biggest target consumer. Few street vendors decide to sell things in their home, but many decide to stop working.
Don't worry, tahu gejrot requires simple ingredients to make. All you need is an easy-to-follow recipe, and that's exactly what the recipe below deliver.
Duration: 45 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
16 blocks of tahu pong (tofu with no filling)
500 ml vegetable oil
For sweet sauce:
50 ml sweet souy sauce
200 ml water
1/4 teaspoon salt
25 grams palm sugar
For Sambal Seasoning:
1/2 garlic clove
2 green bird’s eye chilies
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Let the tofu soak in 150 ml salted water that mixed with 1 teaspoon of salt. Ater 15 minutes, transfer tofu to colander to drain excess water. Set aside.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a wok over medium flame. Fry them in wok until golden. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan by cooking too many at once. Set aside.
3. To make the dip sauce: mix well all dip sauce ingredients in bowl until thoroughly combined. Boil sauce in a pan and bring it to boil over medium flame for 4 minutes. Stir occasionally in between. Set aside.
4. To make sambal seasoning: place bird’s eye chilies, garlic, and salt in a pestle. Crush into smooth paste. Pour dip sauce to pestle and mix well.
5. Serve the fried tofu and sweet spicy sauce separately or mix them.