Follow this easy recipe to make garang asem ayam (steamed chicken in coconut milk and spices) at home.
Kitchenesia.com - Considering the time-consuming duration and long list of ingredients, you might have the desire to skip this recipe.
We promise that all groceries and effort to make this Central Javanese food is worth it.
Not only is it big enough to feed the whole family, you can also enjoy garang asem ayam (steamed chicken in coconut milk and spices)for a couple of days.
Simply store a bowl of garang asem ayam in the airtight storage. Don't forget to heat it before serving
Duration: 60 minutes
Yields: for 5 persons
1/2 of a whole chicken, cut into 12 parts
3 big green chili pepper, cut into coin-shaped slices.
12 red chili
3 bilimbis, chopped
2 green tomatoes, chopped
1 spring onion, chopped
25gr basil leaves
2 tsp salt
1 tsp palm sugar
400ml coconut oil
1 lemongrass, sliced
2 bay leaves, shredded
2cm piece of galangal, chopped
3 banana leaves as a wrapper
Grid into a paste:
3 garlic cloves
1/2 tbsp coriander
2cm piece of ginger
1. In a bowl, combine chicken, paste, salt, and palm sugar. Squeeze them for a while then let the mixture rest for 30 minutes.
2. After 30 minutes, add green chili, red chili, bilimbi fruit, tomato, spring onion, basil leaves, and coconut milk. Mix well.
3. Put chopped lemongrass, bay leaves, and galangal over 2 banana leaves.
4. Put mixture over the banana leaves, alongside its coconut milk stock. Fold the top edges and lock it up with a toothpick.
5. Steam over low heat for an hour.
6. Serve garang asem ayam (steamed chicken in coconut milk and spices) while hot.