Learn how to make Bakwan Bihun Kari Pedas (glass noodles fritters in curry flavour) for family's movie night’s snacks with this step-by-step recipe!
Kitchenesia.com - With the self-quarantine policy still applies, a good portion of your weekend these days might be spent by catching up movies. Watching movies at home might not as cinematic as watching it in cinemas, but it gives one major upside.
You can eat anything without forking over a painful amount of cash, and no one will ever complain. Therefore, let’s ditch typical movie snack like popcorn or hotdog.
Bakwan Bihun Kari Pedas (glass noodles fritters in curry flavour) is a perfect dish to dig in during your personal movie marathon. It is spicy yet crunchy, and everyone at any cooking skill can whip up effortlessly.
Follow the recipe below to make one yourself at home.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Yields: 12 pieces
50 gram glass noodles, pour with hot water
75 grams carrot, julienned
1 scallion stalk, minced
75 grams all-purpose flour
1/2 tbsp rice flour
1 tsp curry powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
50ml instant coconut milk
1 chicken egg, beaten
25 grams ground chicken
Cooking oil for deep frying
For spice paste:
3 garlic cloves
2 cayenne peppers
1 cm piece of turmeric, burn briefly in direct flame until changes colour
1/4 tsp pepper powder
1/4 tsp coriander
1. Place all spice paste ingredients in a pestle. Grind them using stone mortar until making a fine, smooth paste. Set aside.
2. Prepare 2 tbsp of cooking oil in a pan, heat it at medium fire until simmer. Add spice paste and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add ground chicken, stir constantly until it changes colour. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Place all-purpose flour, rice flour, curry powder, salt, sugar, coconut milk, water, egg, and spice paste (step 1) in a bowl. Using whisk, mix ingredients until blended and slightly thickened.
4. Add glass noodles, carrot, and scallion to the mixture. Mix briefly until just combined. Set aside.
5. Heat oil in a wok over low heat. When simmer, take a tablespoon of mixture and put it to the wok, repeat this step until the mixture runs out. Flipping them over once, until crispy and golden brown on both sides.
6. Serve Bakwan Bihun Kari Pedas (glass noodles fritters in curry flavour) as movie night’s snacks.