Learn how to make Ayam Bakar Kecap Taoco (pan-grilled chicken with Tauco Sauce) for iftar or sohoor dish with this step-by-step recipe!
Kitchenesia.com - The possibility in whipping up chicken is almost endless. Especially when you have some local spices and seasonings, you are only minutes away from the most addictive chicken dish the whole family loves.
Today’s Kitchenesia recipe makes the simple yet satisfying Ayam Bakar Kecap Taoco (pan-grilled chicken with tauco sauce). Considering the crisp-tender texture and sweetness-with-a-hint-of-smoky flavour, this dish will surprise you due to its simplicity in method and ingredients.
Prep time: 60 minutes
Yields: 4 chicken pieces
1 whole free-range chicken, cut into quarters
2 bay leaves
2 cm piece of galangal, crushed
3 1/2 tbsp tauco (fermented yellow soybean) sauce
2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
1/4 tsp white pepper powder
3/4 tsp sugar
500ml coconut milk
3 tbsp cooking oil
For spice paste:
7 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp coriander
3 candle nuts, burnt briefly
2 cm piece of ginger.
1. Place all spice paste ingredients in pestle. Grind them using mortar until making a fine, smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in wok over medium heat. When simmers, add ground spice paste, bay leaves, galangal, and tauco Stir constantly until fragrant.
3. Add chicken, and stir until combined.
4. Add sweet soy sauce, pepper powder, and sugar. Stir well.
5. Add coconut milk, stirring constantly until absorbed.
6. Grill chicken over indirect heat using pan-grill. In between, season both sides of chicken with excess spice paste. Don’t forget to flip chicken over to make sure both sides are equally cooked. Remove from pan-grill when the chickens are tender and brown, or about after 20-30 minutes of grilling.
7. Serve Ayam Bakar Kecap Taoco (pan-grilled chicken with tauco sauce) alongside steamed rice as main course in sohoor and iftar.