Learn to make tasty and comforting Soto Ayam Emping (chicken soup with gnetum nut cracker) at home with this step-by-step recipe!
Kitchenesia.com - Being in full one-month self-quarantine makes some of us overwhelm with high-sugar high-calory foods. It’s time to set our eating habit to more proper, just like before the coronavirus pandemic attacked.
First thing we need to do is getting rid of all junk food and replacing them with healthy spices and vegetables. If you’re looking for easy food to start, try to cook Soto Ayam Emping (chicken soup with gnetum nut cracker) whose recipe is below.
This food is one out of millionth proofs that comforting, tasty, and simple in one food is possible.
Duration: 60 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
1 free-range chicken, cleansed thoroughly
2 L water
2 lemongrass stalks, crushed
5 kaffir lime leaves
2 cm piece of ginger, crushed
2 cm piece galangal, crushed
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For ground seasoning:
5 candle nuts
6 garlic cloves
1 cm piece of turmeric
100 grams fried emping, crushed into crumbs
100 grams glass noodles, boiled
100 grams mung bean sprout, boiled
2 tablespoons fried shallots
1. Place all ground seasoning ingredients in a pestle. Grind into smooth and fine paste. Set aside.
2. Boil free-range chicken and bring it to boil over medium flame. When it is soft, remove from pot and let it chill. Transfer chicken broth into a bowl. Set aside.
3. Shred chicken meat using hands.
4. Heat vegetable oil in a wok over medium flame. When the oil simmers, add ground seasoning (step 1), bay leaves, lemongrasses, kaffir lime leaves, and galangal to the wok. Stir constantly until fragrant.
5. Add chicken broth to the wok. Stir until blended, then add salt into it. Stir until it reaches boiling point. Turn off the stove.
6. Add shredded chicken and complementary ingredients to the wok. You might as well serve chicken broth and its supplementary separately.
7. Soto ayam emping (chicken soup with gnetum nut cracker) is ready to dig in.