Learn how to make temptingly tasty Bubur Ayam (chicken congee) from leftover rice with this step-by-step recipe!
Kitchenesia.com - Hot and smooth, Bubur Ayam (chicken congee) is the food mostly associated with meals that Indonesians consume as breakfast.
Chicken congee sellers cart frequently pass around residential area in every morning. Its soft texture makes it an easy-to-digest breakfast food. And it is sold in cheap price, too, so that many make chicken congee as their permanent breakfast dish.
Indeed, cooking chicken porridge is a frugal way of living. You can make it up with leftover rice, and employs anything in kitchen fridge as side dish. And voila, you make yourself a tasty chicken congee. If you don’t know where to start, you can follow the recipe below.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Yields: 4 bowls
200 grams (1 cup) leftover rice
2 lemongrass stalks, crushed
1 cm piece of ginger, crushed
3 litre chicken broth
150 ml coconut milk
1 tsp salt
For sautéed chicken:
4 garlic cloves, minced
250 grams shredded chicken
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp white pepper powder
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp cooking oil
100 grams gnetum cracker
100 grams Tianjin preserved vegetable (tongcai)
6 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp fried shallot
3 celery stalks, chopped
How to make congee:
1. Place leftover white rice, lemongrass, ginger, and chicken to pot, and bring to boil over medium fire.
2. Pour coconut milk in slow and steady speed. Stir constantly until simmer for 20 minutes. Remove once the rice has smoothed out. Set aside.
How to make sautéed chicken:
1. heat oil on pan over medium fire. When simmers, add garlic and stir briefly until fragrant. Add chicken, stir constantly until slightly brown.
2. Add salt, sugar, pepper powder, and soy sauce to the pan. Stir constantly until blended. Remove to bowl and let it chill in room temperature.
3. Serve Bubur Ayam (chicken congee) alongside sautéed chicken and accompaniments.