Learn to make rich and fulfilling fried hard-boiled eggs in 'Mangut' Sauce at home with this step-by-step recipe post.
Kitchenesia.com - While food stalls along beach walk mostly sell light munchies like roasted corn and ice cream, North Coast way (Pantura) in Central Java provides "unusual" dish.
Mangut is a regional broth of Central Java, especially in Semarang and Kendal beaches. It is a characterized with rich an thick stock, with fragrant spices and herbs generously used in the broth.
Mangut is often cooked with smoked fish. But for today's recipe, we altered the recipe a little bit and use fried hard-boiled eggs instead. The taste? Scrumptious indeed!
Duration: 30 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
8 hard-boiled chicken eggs, peeled then fried
3 kaffir lime leaves
1 cm piece of galangal, crushed
2 lemongrass stalks, use only the white part
1 cm piece of ginger, crushed
3 red chilies, sliced on the bias into 1/2-cm thickness
3 green chilies, sliced on the bias into 1/2-cm thickness
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
750 ml coconut milk
3 tablespoon cooking oil
For ground seasoning:
4 candlenuts, heated on pan shortly
1 cm piece of turmeric, burnt
3 garlic cloves
5 red chilies
2 bird eye's chilies
1 teaspoon coriander
2 cm piece of aromatic ginger
1. Put all "ground seasoning" ingredients using mortar and pestle. Grind them until soft like a paste.
2. Add cooking oil, ground seasoning, bayleaves, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lemongrass, and ginger to a saucepan on medium heat. Stir constantly until fragrant. Once the oil is hot and fragrant, add red and green chilies to the pan. Stir them until withered.
3. Gently drop the fried hard-boiled eggs into it. Stir the eggs around to ensure even browning.
4. Pour coconut milk gently, sugar, and salt to the pan. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, stirring constantly.
5. Serve fried hard-boiled eggs in 'Mangut' sauce with steamed rice.