Learn how to make Es Teler Merah Delima (fruit cocktail with red yam bean) for family's dessert with this step-by-step recipe!
Kitchenesia.com - The name literally means red ruby, “Merah Delima” adorns this traditional fruit cocktail to be more colourful. Es Teler (Indonesian fruit cocktail) is inherently pleasant in visual and flavours as it employs variants of fruits and seasoning.
Sour-taste jackfruit contributes to yellow layer. Green coconut and coconut milk make this drink look translucent to pure white. There there’s a scope of sweet avocado that contributes its sweetness and green colour altogether.
Es Teler Merah Delima (fruit cocktail with red yam bean) requires ore time and effort since the recipe below makes everything from scratch. But the yields worth it. You can also save up the leftover in the fridge to consume couples more days after.
Cooking time: 45 Menit
Yields: 7 bowls
3 avocados, diced
5 individual fruit of jackfruit, diced
2 green coconuts, take out the flesh
150ml condensed vanilla milk
700 grams shaved ice
150 grams sago flour
For sugar syrup:
1 pandanus leaves
For coconut milk sauce:
400ml coconut milk
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp salt
For red yam bean:
200 grams yam bean, cut into small cubes
1/4 tsp red food colouring
1. Mix yam bean and red food colouring using fork. Let them absorb for 15 minutes. Roll read yam bean in a bowl of sago flour. Make sure to make the yam bean fully coated with sago flour.
2. Boil water in a pot over medium fire. When simmers, add yam bean and bring it to boil for 5 minutes, or until they are floating. Transfer to colander and pour cold water to the yam bean. Set aside.
3. Place all coconut milk sauce ingredients in a pot. Bring them to boil while stirring in between. When boiled, turn off the flame and let it chill in a room temperature. Set aside.
4. Place all sugar syrup ingredients in a new pot. Bring them to boil over medium fire, and stir in between to make the ingredients blended well. When boiled, turn off the stove. Let it chill in a fridge. Set aside.
5. Distribute avocado, jackfruit, green coconut, and red yam bean evenly in five bowls. Pour coconut milk sauce and sugar syrup into the bowls. Add shaved ice and tops with vanilla condensed milk.
6. Serve Es Teler Merah Delima (fruit cocktail with red yam bean) as iftar dessert.