Learn how to make Roti Cane Almond Saus Coklat (Almond canai flatbread with chocolate sauce) for family's iftar snack with this step-by-step recipe!
Kitchenesia.com - In Indonesia, Roti Canai (Canai flatbread) goes with many names: roti prata, roti konde or roti maryam. Notwithstanding those names, it shows how Indian-origin roti canai’s popularity in this country.
Roti Cane came to Indonesia through the influx of Muslim Indian to Northern part of Sumatra in seventeenth century. Thus, Roti Cane is very popular in Aceh, North, and West Sumatra. If you think Roti Cane is pretty famous in Jakarta, its popularity is tenth times higher.
Despite being a common munchie sold in train and bus stations, it takes more effort to make it. You will need 60 minutes to create roti cane, with much of kneading and frying.
But hey, self-quarantine is about taking your cooking skill to higher level. And Roti Cane Roti Cane Almond Saus Coklat (almond canai flatbread with chocolate sauce) is a good start.
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Yields: 8 pieces
200 grams pastry flour (high protein)
1/4 tsp salt
1 chicken egg, beaten
500 ml cooking oil (75 ml for dough)
25 grams butter
25 grams almond powder
200 ml plain UHT milk
50 ml cooking cream
1/4 tsp salt
50 grams sugar
1 tbsp chocolate powder
2 tsp corn starch
1. Prepare mixer with dough hook attachment. Place pastry flour and salt to the bowl, mix in low speed until blended. Add egg while mixing, knead dough using for 3 minutes. Pour water gradually and 75 ml of cooking oil while mixing. Continue to knead the dough for more 3-4 minutes until elastic and smooth.
2. Take a 50-gram dough (about 5 tbsp) and roll them to make dough balls. Repeat this step until the dough runs out. Soak balls in cooking oil for 30 minutes.
3. Flatten balls using rolling pin until thin and expanded. Apply butter thoroughly to both sides of the dough, and spread almond powder. Pinch the tip of the dough and gently pull the dough off the working surface. Swirl dough to form a circle and press gently.
4. Prepare 2 tbsp of cooking oil in pan at medium heat. When simmers, place dough in pan. Sprinkle oil on the dough while cooking. Flip dough to make sure both sides are equally brown. Repeat this step until the dough runs out. Set aside.
5. To make sauce, place all sauce ingredients in pot and bring them to boil until thickened, or for 5-6 minutes. Remove from pot when it is boiled, transfer to bowl.
6. Serve Roti Cane Almond Saus Coklat (Almond canai flatbread with chocolate sauce) alongside its chocolate sauce as iftar appetizer.