Learn to make tasty and fulfilling dendeng balado (Padangnese spicy beef jerky) at home with this step-by-step recipe.
Kitchenesia.com - Rendang, ikan asam path, and gulai banak, Padang Cuisine contributes greatly to the richness of Indonesia's spicy foods. There is also Dendeng Balado, a long-cooked jerky beef sautéed with chili sambal and keffir limes
Its long-process, however, is the reason why dendeng balado is not as popular as other Padang food, and it is rarely sold in Padang restaurants. Don't worry, despite its long process, dendeng balado requires simpe ingredients. You can also try it yourself at home!
Duration: 90 minutes
Yields: 5 servings
500 grams silverside, cut against the grain and into jerky shaped
1 1/2 tablespoon tamarind extract
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon frying oil
5 kaffir lime leaves
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon tamarind extract
150 ml frying oil
10 large red chili peppers
10 long red slim chili
Grind sambal ingredients until tender using traditional mortar and pestle
1. Mix tamarind extract and salt in a bow. Put silverside in the same bowl; squeeze it until the extract is absorbed.
2. Roast tamarind for 45 minutes in a 140 Celsius fire.
3. On a medium-heat oil, fry roasted silverback until dry.
4. In a different wok, heat oil on medium heat. Add sambal and kefir limes. Stir-fry until fragrant.
5. Add salt, sugar, tamarind extract, and sliced silverside. Stir-fry until fragrant.
6. Serve with steamed rice.