Dishes served with balado (minangnese chili sauce) will build your appetite especially if you are a sucker for spicy food. this dendeng balado (beef jerky with chili sauce) will be an easy recipe to cook in your kitchen. it will also be a favorite choice in your dining room!
350 grams silverside beef,thinly sliced along the grain
1 tablespoons tamarind juicefrom 1 teaspoon tamarind juice dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
cooking oil for frying
minangnese balado chili sauce ingredients
6 lime leaves, midribs removed
2 salam (indonesian bay)leaves
1 lemongrass (white part only),crushed
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon tamarind juicefrom 1 teaspoon tamarind dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
100 ml cooking oilfor sautéing
1. Mix beef with tamarind juice. Gently squeeze it.
2. Put in on an ungreased baking dish. Roast it for 25 minutes with 150oC temperature (lower element only) until the tamarind juice absorbed into the meat. Remove from heat and let it cool.
3. Fry beef in hot oil until well-cooked and dry. Set aside.
4. Heat cooking oil on the pan. Sauté coarsely ground spices blend, lime leaves, salam leaves, and lemongrass until fragrant. Add in beef, salt, and sugar. Stir well. Add tamarind juice. Stir well. Remove from heat.
5. Dendeng Balado (Beef Jerky with Chili Sauce) is ready to serve.