Follow up this practical recipe to whip up a bowl of Nasi Gila (fried rice with an assortment of side dishes) at home.
Kitchenesia.com -If you are confused to process some bowls of dried rice, almost-wilted greens, and not-so-fresh meats into something edible, this is the right one for you.
Meet Nasi Gila, literally means "crazy rice". We don't exactly understand why it's named that way, but its delectable taste definitely would make you crazy. It is a popular dish among students for its satisfying portion and cheap price.
Duration: 30 minutes
Yields: for 3 persons
300gr white rice
1/4tsp pepper powder
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 eggs, beaten with 1/4tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
Ingredients to sauté:
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 chili peppers, cut on the bias
100 gr chicken thigh fillet, cut straight
4 meatballs, cut into fourths
5 asparagus spears, cut on the bias
100gr carrot, cut on the bias
1 bunch of choy sum, chopped
1/2tbsp tomato sauce
1tbsp oyster sauce
1tsp fish sauce
1/4tsp pepper powder
300ml chicken stock
1/2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolve with 1 tsp water
1 spring onion, cut on the bias
2tbsp cooking oil
Preparing the rice:
1. Heat oil on a pan over medium fire, put into a simmer. Add garlic and stir until fragrant. Add egg, stir well using a wooden turner.
2. Add rice and stir until well-combined. Add salt and white pepper and stir well. Once blended, remove rice from the pan and put it into a bowl.
Cooking up the seasoning:
1. Heat oil on a pan over medium fire, put into a simmer. Add garlic and chili peppers, stir until fragrant. Add chicken then stir well until lightly browned.
2. Add meatballs, stir well. While stirring, add tomato sauce, oyster sauce, and fish sauce.
3. Add cauliflower, asparagus, carrot, and choy sum, stir well.
4. Add salt and pepper powder, stir until blended. Then, add chicken stock gradually to the pan. Stir well until simmering.
5. Add cornstarch slurry to thicken the stock. Stir well until cooked. Add spring onion and stir for a while. Remove it from the pan and pour it into a bowl.
6. Pour the seasoning on top of the bowl of rice.
7. Serve nasi gila while hot